Friday, May 13, 2011

6 years ago today

May 13th 2005 (It was also Friday the 13 like today) I sat at Perth Airport waiting to board a plane to start a journey that would change my life forever.


I was heading to meet a guy who 5 months prior I had sent a random message to on a website and now I was  flying across the world to meet in person for the first time. I was nervous, excited, scared, happy and terrified all at once. What if this guy is a weirdo? But I had been talking to him everyday either by webcam or the telephone for hours at a time. Surely I would know if he was pretending.

I was due to fly out of Perth at 11pm but there was delay so I wasn't in the air until May 14th which made me feel a little better. There was just something unsettling about flying on Friday the 13th.


I had flown many times before but this was different. I was going to be meeting someone who I had developed quite strong feelings for face to face for the first time. I had never done anything like it before. I had never thought in my wildest dreams I would meet someone on the Internet and fall for them. Especially when they lived 12 000 miles away in the USA.

The first leg of my trip was a 10 hour flight to Tokyo. I had always wanted to visit Japan. I studied Japanese in high school and have always loved everything Japanese: The food, the culture, the people, just everything about it. But the excitement of meeting Billy really took away from the fact I was in one of my most desired places in the world. This is really the only glimpse of Japan I got other than inside of the airport.


Here is a cool video of the plane landing in Tokyo. I do swear in it once, I apologise. I had never seen such a big airport before!



My layover in Tokyo was about 4 hours and I was so bored. I called Billy and spoke to him for a little while but the time dragged so slowly. Finally I got on my flight to Detroit, another 14 hours in the air.

Here we are landing in Detroit:


Please excuse the quality of the photos and the video, this was back when all I had was a 2mp camera. 

So I landed in Detroit and went through customs without any problems, the guy was actually kind of cheeky when I told him I was visiting a friend. He was like "Male or female?" with a sly grin! hehe

So I got onto my flight to Charlotte. This flight was only just over an hour and I was REALLY getting nervous now. The flight was fairly empty and I planned on moving to a window seat so I could see a bit of the USA from the plane but the lady next to me decided she was going to talk my ear off all the way and I felt it would be rude for me to get up and move.

Before I knew it the pilot was telling us to buckle up as we were coming in to land. I freaked. I had had no sleep, no shower in almost 36 hours and my nerves were shot. HOLY CRAP! What was I doing??

I was also freaking out about how I looked. The day I was due to fly out I went to the hair salon and got my hair coloured and straightened so I would look good getting off the plane. Well when we pulled up to the airport, it was pouring with rain and my $200 hair was ruined. So I was stressed about the frizzball that was on my head.

The plane pulled up to the gate and I was one of the last to get off. My nerves made me very hesitant to get off the plane. But I finally dragged myself off and walked into the terminal.

It was empty. No one was there waiting for me. My heart sank. Tears sprung up in my tired eyes. I think I almost sank to the ground. But then I realised that all the passengers from the plane had all left the area also. To me that seemed weird. There were no loved ones hugging people or anything.

I saw an airport staff member and went to her and asked her if anyone had been waiting here. She said that this area was for passengers only, because of security we have to go down the escalators to meet our family etc. You have no idea how relieved I was. 

I quickly ran into the bathroom to try my best to fix my hair and brush my teeth and make myself as presentable as possible. I took a few deep breaths and headed towards the escalators. 

As I started down I saw him standing there, looking just as terrified as I was feeling. He was holding a bunch of blue Irises, my favourite flowers. We locked eyes and we both smiled. As I got off he hugged me but all I could think of was how rank I must smell. I hadn't showered in almost 2 days and stress sweat is not pleasant.

We got my suitcases and jumped on the shuttle to the parking lot. He held my hand the entire way. We drove to his place with a quick stop at McDonalds, I wasn't that hungry but he hadn't eaten in a few hours. 

We got to his house and he gave me the grand tour but all I was thinking of was how badly I wanted to shower. So finally I jumped in the shower and I tell you, it was the best shower I think I have ever had in my life!

Poor Billy told me later that he thought I didn't like him because I had seemed a little distant! Little did he know it's because I felt so yucky and didn't want him to smell me! haha

Anyway after the shower we sat on his sofa and talked for hours. It was like we had known each other forever. I won't go into all the details but we definitely had chemistry ;)

Billy & Nikki

kiss

Pretty much right away we knew we had both made the right choice and that the feelings that had developed over 12 000 miles were even stronger when we were together. 

A couple of days later he was taking me to meet his parents and get them to take some photos of us together. He took this one of my while I was getting ready.


These were taken by his parents at their house.

bilnik21

Billy & Nikki

picnikfile_TcLuZ-

Sadly we didn't get to do a lot during my visit as Billy still had to work, but we took advantage of all the time we had together and really enjoyed being together. The day I had to leave was never far from our minds though.

A week after I arrived Billy sat me down on the couch and showed me a small green box. He told me that in it was a ring that he wanted to give me and he wanted to ask me to marry him. But he felt that the ring wasn't good enough to be an engagement ring and so it was a promise ring until he was able to buy me a proper ring.

He showed me the ring, a gorgeous pink sapphire that was just so perfect for me. He told me that it belonged to his Grandmother who had given it to his mother and they thought he could give it to me. I loved it. But I gave it back to him and I told him that it didn't matter what kind of ring he gives to me. If he wanted to ask me to marry him it was the question that was important. Not the ring. 

A couple of days later I was laying on his bed and he came up beside me, knelt on the floor, took my hand and asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes!



I was so unbelievable happy. I had found my soul mate and he wanted to marry me. That really rarely happens.

Our 16 days together were truly one of the happiest times of my life but I had to go back home soon and we both knew it. Neither of us knew what the future held and what was going to happen when we went back to living far apart again.

The night before I was flying out, Billy took me out to dinner to Olive Garden. We decided to really make a night of it and dress up all fancy:

Our last night

Our last night

Our last night

Dinner was wonderful and afterwards we decided to be silly and go into Toys R Us and play around.

Silly Billy

Billy in Toys R Us

When we came out we were greeted with this:


Our last night

That night it was so hard to go to sleep. We didn't want to waste any time that we could be together. But finally we fell asleep. And the next morning he drove me to the airport. I don't think we let go of each others hand the whole way.

The goodbyes at the airport were excruciating. Lots and lots of tears were shed. Lots of "I love you's" were said. It was very very hard. 

Here is Billy right before they called my plane to board.

Billy at airport

Saying Goodbye

When I finally had to board that plane I was a mess. I cried the whole flight. People must have thought I was a freak. But I didn't care. I wanted to go back and stay with him. I never wanted to be apart from him again.








5 comments:

  1. AW!!! I loved this story!! My aunt and uncle met online too!! =)

    You have a great story!! And you make a wonderful couple!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW!!! I loved this story!! You guys have an amazing story! And you're such a cute couple!! =)

    ps: my aunt and uncle met online! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it makes me melt everytime i read it. you guys have had so many hurdles along the way with the moving from hemisphere to hemisphere etc but it goes to show love does conquer all ;) xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does it end!?!?! :P

    Very cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie, check out the video I made under the Love Story Tab up the top of my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please take the time to leave a comment. I'm sorry but due to massive amounts of spam I have turned off anonymous comments. But if you have a Google account you can use that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...