Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bird Watching

After we had dinner and Billy left for work this afternoon/evening I went out the back to feed the dogs and there were a bunch of hummingbirds zooming around the feeders. I realised they were empty so I filled them all up and decided I would get the camera and try to get some photos.

I got these out the back. There always seems to be one that chases others away from the feeders. This guy was sitting down on the fence next to the deck.



You can tell he is a male because of his red throat, the females don't have that.

The dogs started messing around so I decided to go and sit out on the lawn out front near the bird feeder and nectar feeder to see if I could get some photos out there. 


This guy was guarding the feeder out here. It seems to be the males chasing away the females. How mean!


No birds came to the feeder near me, but a few were on the other one. Hopefully if I sit out there a few times they might get used to me. The hummingbirds didn't seem to mind at all. 


Cassie followed me outside and plopped herself under the Crape Myrtle tree. She didn't stay out for long though. Once I noticed this, I took her inside.


Such a naughty kitty!

Then I saw a Mockingbird fly into the Crape Myrtle and climb into the middle of it so I was curious. And look what I found:


A nest!!! No wonder Cassie likes this tree!

Here is the builder:


It was great just sitting out there and watching all the birds and bugs. I am going to do it again tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. Great pics! I love humming birds!! And that "builder" looks like a Jay. If it is, be careful. They like to dive bomb and attack if they feel they or their nests or threatened.

    Great pics! Just avoid the mosquitoes and ants!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please take the time to leave a comment. I'm sorry but due to massive amounts of spam I have turned off anonymous comments. But if you have a Google account you can use that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...