Saturday, August 6, 2011

Photo Share: Hummingbirds

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Anyone that knows me, knows I love these little guys. I had never seen one in real life until moving here. So I went 32 years without them in my life. Such a sad thought.

From the moment I saw my first one I knew I had to try to photograph one. And it's not an easy task. That photo above is my very first photo of one. And that took me about a while to get. We didn't have feeders at our house for a while. This was taken at Billy's grandparents house. And this was about the 3rd or 4th day I tried.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

It took me another month to get this shot above. They weren't used to someone standing there watching them so they were always nervous around me. So we decided to buy some feeders for our place so I could try every day.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

There is the first good one I got at home. I had been camped out on the front deck for a few hours each day letting them get used to me being there and taking photos. It wasn't long until they didn't really seem bothered by me at all.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

I love that photo! It's one of my all time favourites! I love how you can see his face so well! And his feathers and everything! The reason I know he is a he, only the male Ruby Throated Hummingbirds have the red throats. The females look like this:

Hummingbird

These guys are amazing. In Fall they have to migrate south for winter and they have to fly non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico, that's about 500 miles! Insane!

Hummingbird

They are really territorial. They chase other ones away from the feeders. You wouldn't think something so small and cute could be mean, but they are!


They seem to really love the rain. When there is a storm here they are out in force enjoying the wind and rain. So weird!



After feeding and photographing them for the past couple of years I think they have really gotten used to me. They don't tend to fly away when I am around and are pretty comfortable with me standing fairly close to them.


The don't seem bothered by Billy either! A few months ago we were on the deck and it was really windy so Billy was holding the nectar feeder so it wouldn't fly away and a hummer just landed on it and started eating without a care in the world.


I will never get tired of these little guys. Although they go through the nectar really quickly so I am always having to make more, but I don't mind!


Here is a video I made a while ago where I put the camera out near the feeder for about 30 minutes then spliced all the shots of the birds together.



And a slideshow of all of the photos I have of them:


I hope you enjoyed my photo share today! 

For more information about Ruby Throated Hummingbirds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby-throated_Hummingbird

1 comment:

  1. Re: Aussie skies
    the pic`s u took were altogether THE MOST beautiful I`ve ever seen.
    re: hummingbirds
    I was born n CA and grew up `round h-birds and the pic`s u were able 2 get of those fast and flitty critters was absolutelu awesome. U oughtta think `bout getting`m published.
    thanx 4 the spectacular visual eye feast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please take the time to leave a comment. I'm sorry but due to massive amounts of spam I have turned off anonymous comments. But if you have a Google account you can use that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...