Saturday, October 27, 2012

Salad

IMG_3644

So I LOVE salads and I eat them a lot. I try to have the ingredients in the fridge for salads all the time, but I usually run out before it's shopping time again.

Also salads can take a long time to make from scratch every day so I have a couple of tricks to make it a little easier.

I have a standard salad "base" that makes up about 2/3's of my whole salad. I have this all ready to go so all I have to do is add a few other things and viola! SALAD!

First and most importantly is my arugula (rocket). I get this at Trader Joe's as it's the only place around here that I have found it.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

It doesn't last very long in that bag though, it sweats and gets all slimy. So I came up with a way for it to last quite a while. I get a large air tight container like this:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Then I layer in paper towels and the arugula like this:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

This keeps it getting too much moisture and it stays fresh for way longer. It usually lasts almost 2 weeks like this.

Then I get these:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The 2 bagged items are also from Trader Joe's. The red cabbage I usually get from the local produce market. I chop up the cabbage and put all of packs and the cabbage in a large ziplock bag and shake it up so it's all mixed up.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I keep this on top of the bowl of arugula in the fridge and that is my salad base. I then add other veggies when I am making my salad like:

Celery, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper (capsicum), banana peppers, raw broccoli, avocado.

Toppings I sometimes add are:

real bacon bits, sunflower seeds, shredded sharp cheddar, grilled chicken, tuna.

Dressings:

balsamic vinegar, light ranch, vinaigrette.

Here are some photos of salads I have made:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Excuse the quality of some of the shots, I alternate with my phone and camera.

12 comments:

  1. YUM!! I never thought about storing greens like that - I'm going to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it makes them last so much longer! You could do it with lettuce and spinach and a bunch of other stuff too!

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea for storing arugula. I stopped buying it on it's own because I couldn't make it through an entire package before it went gross! Lately, I've been buying the organic mixes and just grabbing handfuls and adding my 'extras' to that.

    I love edamame too - good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Edamame! I add that too sometimes! I have some in my freezer! Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. That salad looks so Delish!! I just got a pen and paper and made notes!! Thanks for sharing!! and also I never thought about storing Greens like that!! Defiantly going to do that from now on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help! I love figuring out stuff like this!

      Delete
  4. YUM! You totally have me wanting to go to trader joes now!! I love that place!! salad looks amazing and very filling, i could totally see putting some tuna on top!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for Trader Joe's I would be lost! I love their stuff!

      Delete
  5. This looks awesome! I have trouble keeping any type of leaf lettuce lasting more than a few days --- I never thought of changing the container. Great idea! I am definitely following your recipe for this salad--yummo! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky for me, we have a great salad bar at work...same thing every day. Lettuce, cheese, green olives, peas, sunflower seeds, and tortilla strips if they have them. Ken's Ranch dressing. They used to have grilled chicken but haven't had that lately. Really miss it and need the protein! I really should buy my own and add it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tip on keeping the salad fresh! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please take the time to leave a comment. I'm sorry but due to massive amounts of spam I have turned off anonymous comments. But if you have a Google account you can use that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...