Friday, November 30, 2012

Steel cut oats

A few people have asked me how I make my steel cut oats and I have seen other people saying they don't have the time to make it every morning. So I am going to share what I do to save time.

Basically I start with these:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

You can get them pretty much anywhere that sells oatmeal. Steel cut oats are just oats that aren't rolled out. They have a chewy consistency which I prefer over rolled oats.

I make 8 servings at a time. I measure out 320g which is 8 x 40g servings. I weigh it out on my digital scales after zeroing off the bowl.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Then I bring 7 cups of water to boil. The instructions are 1 cup of water to 1 cup of oats, but I like mine a little undercooked. I'm weird like that! But you can use the 8 cups if you like.

I add the oats, let them boil for about 5 minutes then I lower the temperature so they simmer for another 20 minutes or until all the water is gone and it's at a consistency I like.

Then I dump it all back into the bowl again and weigh it.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Because I didn't zero off the bowl this time, I just take off the weight of the bowl, in this case it's 155g, then I divide the remaining number by 8. Which works out to 180g. Leaving a 5g buffer I weigh out each portion into small containers.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I freeze 6 portions and leave 2 in the fridge for the next 2 mornings.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

When I want one in the morning, I just take it out of the freezer, run some hot water over the container to loosen it. Then put into a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, stir, then another 30 seconds. Then I add my fruit, nuts, milk etc.

IMG_2283


Some of my favourite topping combinations are:

banana, honey & walnuts
PB2 & banana
Chocolate PB2 & banana
dried cranberries and slivered almonds
pumpkin butter and slivered almonds.
blueberries and peaches

The choices are really endless.

Hope this helps!!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I think I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it!!! thanks sooo much for doing that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please take the time to leave a comment. I'm sorry but due to massive amounts of spam I have turned off anonymous comments. But if you have a Google account you can use that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...